City of Portland Hayhurst District
Neighborhood Emergency Team
Call to Order
Greg Zupan called to order the regular meeting of the Hayhurst PNET
July 13 2016 – 06:45 to 8:30 PM – Alpenrose Dairy – Theater – 6149 SW Shattuck Rd. Portland – 503-577-2821
The following parties were present: Greg, Rudy, Mimi and Randy.
Approval of minutes from last meeting review was bypassed and was covered offline via email as needed.
- Improved communications are needed in follow-up to new NET inquiries.
Agenda Items Covered
- Group walked-through for the CERT Forms to understand how team activities will be tracked with Incident Team Leadership.
- The Amateur Radio Operators (ARO) Ham Radio and Family Radio Systems (FRS) range checks covered line-of-sight (LOS) and PBEM repeater testing from Alpenrose Dairy to verify comm signal strength within the Hayhurst NET district. From Alpenrose Dairy parking lot (Hayhurst NET Staging Area) to:
- Hayhurst playground – weak/2
- 46th – no signal
- Vermont & 30th – medium/5-7
- BHH & 30th – broken / 0-1
- In summary, the testing determined that simplex Ham Radio transmission works great (however only a few members have a license), however use of FRS frequencies and transmission power is inadequate to deal with the hilly district. Team Leadership has began attending weekly ARO meetings to verify MC-2 repeater connectivity and radio skills are up to par for potential ARO communications. Regarding FRS failing to fully operate, the decision was to investigate GRMS in place of FRS to improve transmission strength, or determine alternate communications strategy. FRS/ GMRS is the current plan per page 56 of 63 of NET Team Guidelines v2.
- Next meeting will be held on September 14th 2016 – 06:45 to 8:30 PM – Alpenrose Dairy – Ice Cream Parlor – 6149 SW Shattuck Rd. Portland – 503-577-2821. The primary agenda topic will be a table top drill exercise. NOTE: The last meeting will be November 9th for Scheduling of 2017, reflection on 2016 accomplishments and recording volunteer hours, so bring your smartphone to help plan and make updates online.
Greg Zupan adjourned the meeting at 8:30 pm.
Minutes from 7/13/2016 meeting submitted by Greg Zupan and accessible at https://hayhurstnet.com/2016/09/08/7132016-meeting-minutes/.