City of Portland Hayhurst District
Neighborhood Emergency Team
Call to Order
Ron Hellenthal called to order the regular meeting of the Hayhurst PNET
March 9 2016 – 06:45 to 8:30 PM – Alpenrose Dairy – Ice Cream Parlor – 6149 SW Shattuck Rd. Portland – 503-577-2821
The following parties were present: Ron, Greg, Mimi, Julie and Randy.
Approval of minutes from last meeting 2/10/2016 meeting minutes review was bypassed
Mimi shared Portland Office of Neighborhood Involvement provided grants through SWNI for two NET leads. Perhaps this is a path Hayhurst NET could follow? Secondly, SB 93 was signed in by the Oregon Governor Kate Brown for insurers to provide 90-day prescription refill in the event of a disaster, etc. Insurance companies are unaware of this change, which has been escalated. Click here for details.
Julie raised the PBEM announcement about the BEECN program for outreach to more volunteers be stationed at BEECN sites following background check and basic training. Gabrial Park lacks a BEECN due to past theft, so program currently has little value to Multnomah Village and Hayhurst groups. Ron volunteered to follow-up to determine whether the misappropriated Gabrial Park BEECN case has been replaced or not. (Note: the BEECN replacement is available, however a secure public location is needed before PBEM will station the unit.)
Agenda Items Covered
- Discussion was held reviewing the sites that could be utilized as the primary and secondary staging area for Hayhurst NET. A stability assessment including, Steep Slopes, Flood Risk and Earth Quake Hazard, was applied to each potential location being considered – Gabriel Park, Alpenrose, lot next to Hayhurst School, and church in Hayhurst district. Greg and Randy volunteered to approach the church for determine acceptance of their property and facilities potential usage for disaster recovery NET activation. Following response in approaching the church site, Ron will approach PBEM with the draft Hayhurst Ops Plan for final approval.
- Brett D. Matthews from Hillsdale NET, spearheading the project under James Nobles from SWNI Safety, reached out to the Hayhurst NET in SWNI’s footprint to collaborate on the SWNI Emergency Preparedness Fair coming up in June. The event will be collaborate on a booth/table at Multnomah Arts Center, Multnomah Village, Saturday June 25th for ~ 4-5 hours, maybe 10:00-2:00. The questions was raised and voted upon. Due to other outreach efforts and stabilization action underway the team determined it’s best to kindly decline taking part in the event.
- General vote declined SWAG purchasing of any NET clothing due to budgetary constraints. When active Hayhurst membership increases the opportunity will be readdressed.
- The Hayhurst NET team voted all in favor of participating in the National Night Out on August 2nd at Alpenrose.
- The question of NextDoor.com was raised regarding a better way for Hayhurst NET outreach. Due to PBEM leading on recruiting and training, Mimi volunteered to write up an advertisement via NextDoor recommendation to PBEM leads to help promote greater registration recruitment Portland wide.
- Besides HazMat for greater understanding of local risks, internal training will be primarily centered from the Task Book provided by PBEM which, out of 21 training, 14 are online classes for independent access. All members are motivated to take training on their own initiative following by Team Lead (TL) sign off for credit. The material is not yet prime time, more information will be provided shortly.
- Outreach Training Session Planning Update: Alpenrose administrative management have approved the Theater for Tuesday, May 24th. Materials used will be similar to last event content included below. Fees will not be required for the event, however donations will be highly recommend to help further strengthen Hayhurst community preparedness. An outside medical speaker will be invited to present. Another similar outreach event is tentatively scheduled for September. Here are links to the material planned for the outreach event: Preparedness Documentation & Preparedness Presentation
- Next meeting will be held on April 13 2016 – 06:45 to 8:30 PM – Alpenrose Dairy – Ice Cream Parlor – 6149 SW Shattuck Rd. Portland – 503-577-2821. The primary agenda topic will continue planning for outreach and discussing advertising.
Ron Hellenthal adjourned the meeting at 8:15 pm.
Minutes from 3/9/2016 meeting submitted by Greg Zupan and accessible at http://wp.me/p7k1l9-4.